Our concept at Cirque-It Fitness is that movement and wellness should be fun and joyful – a welcome addition of things to your life, not a group of exercises you “have” to do or a list of foods you “can’t” eat.
Elizabeth Skwiot, our founder, suggests adding in to your life new healthy habits. Here are 5 habits she’s added in over the years. Let us know if you try one!
1. She often eats oatmeal for breakfast. A common bowl for Elizabeth contains a tablespoon of ground flaxseed and a scoop of protein powder for a blend of carbohydrates, fat, and protein. Check out the items linked here to see some of her favorites.
2. Elizabeth loves popcorn! When she indulges, one of her favorite ways to flavor popcorn popped over the stove is to sprinkle lightly with sea salt and generously with nutritional yeast. Nutritional yeast adds a cheesy/nutty flavor and some extra protein without all the fat of butter. Since her diet is so low in sodium, she doesn’t mind the extra sodium from the salt.
3. Water water water. Elizabeth drinks a lot of water to stay hydrated and stave off cravings. This is especially important when traveling. At times, she’ll use an app to track her water consumption to make sure she’s getting enough. After an intense run or workout, she’ll add Ultima for electrolytes without all the added sugar of other drinks. The little packets (linked here) are also travel-friendly.
4. Even fitness professionals get in a fitness rut! When she needs to mix things up, Elizabeth will take a week off from her normally very disciplined routine and try new classes at her gym or around town. Many studios offer free or deeply discounted introductory offers–plus, it’s a great way to meet new people and workout buddies!
5. Sleep. Rest. Self-care. Adding in wellness doesn’t only mean exercise! Elizabeth makes a point to have some down time each week and focused recovery. This can mean a getting a massage or even some extra time to relax, stretch, or meditate at home.
Do any of these sound like something you already do or would like to try? Let us know!